Get Grounded: Adopt A Spot

Join in service with other congregants to create and maintain our sacred grounds! Perhaps there is a small piece of our UU grounds that is special to you or an area you would like to see improved. There is an array of “spots” to adopt, from the very small to...

Continue reading

HONORING OUR ELDERS GARDEN PARTY

We are planning an Honoring Elders Garden Party on Saturday, June 26th from 9:30 to 11:30 on Summit House Lawn. If you are over 70 and have not received your invitation, please email COM@uucharlottesville.com We need Hosts of various sorts, flowers, offer a ride, a photographer and garden party food....

Continue reading

The Joy of Running Up

Laura Wallace recently entered the 2021 Jefferson-Madison Regional Library / WriterHouse Poetry Contest, and was happy to learn that Virginia’s Poet Laureate chose her poem as Runner-Up. You can read her winning entry, “Aphasia,” here.

Continue reading

Thank You For Giving Tree Gifts

The Charlottesville UU’s have provided holiday gifts to Greer Elementary School families for several years, even before I arrived at Greer three years ago.  Each year, our Greer Family Support Team gathered information on 8-10 of our neediest families.  And each December, our team arrived at Cville UU with vans...

Continue reading

First Christmas

A contribution from Johanna Woodchild:   In celebration of the Winter Solstice, which occurs on Monday, December 21st, I share with you this poem, which appeared in the newsletter of the UU Church of the Larger Fellowship c. 1980.   FIRST CHRISTMAS A hundred thousand years ago A cave-man looked at ice...

Continue reading

Once upon a time……

Do you have go-to stories in your family that are told time and time again? I have several and here are some of the titles: Ducks can run really fast if they think you have food. We’re getting married tomorrow and the dogs have caught a skunk! Why did Mommy...

Continue reading

It Was Nothing Really

A poem by Irene Wellman. It Was Nothing Really A storm had passed. I stopped the car to walk up and down the country road, trees along the horizon, nearby new leaves, flowers, pools of water on the road. A few cars went by. and then the sun’s rays shone...

Continue reading

Words I Can’t Use (Except in December)

By Laura Wallace Like many UUs, I came from a religious background that one day no longer made sense for me. Disillusionment sent me searching, and finally to hovering nervously on a back pew nearly 40 years ago, scared but relieved to have blundered into a community that wouldn’t tell...

Continue reading